Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Patience is a tough word!

Patience is a word that describes something that we all want others to have and yet it is a word that we all cringe at attaining ourselves. Have you ever thought about it, really? Most people have heard "The Patience of Job" and everyone thinks...."Oh, Bless his heart!" Why is that how we all feel? I am hoping that my thoughts will help me (and possibly you) consider patience for what it is, a virtue.


By definition patience is an ability or willingness to suppress restlessness or annoyance when confronted with delay. That does not seem all that terrible; certainly we can all achieve that at least from time to time. On a broader scale though, how do you gain patience? The only way that is possible is suffering the delay. And of course, the delay could be anything we don't want to do.  I know that if I am trying to drive somewhere and have the misfortune of getting stopped by a train then the train is my test of patience. And what about going to to the doctor's appointment that you have scheduled for 10 am only to wait until 11:50 to be taken to an exam room. (And you are convinced at that point, that the doctor and the staff will hurry with you because, well it is lunch time!) Delays, tests, trials and tribulations are promised in life and can take on any size or shape. Yuck!


I think the Bible encourages us to pray for patience. If we read Galatians 5 we find that we are to avoid certain things and strive to gain others. We also know that in 1 John 5:15, we are told that we obtain the requests made of Him. It might be a stretch to consider that I could ever be as patient as I need to be or as patient as God wants me to be but I can certainly try to improve on my current level. 


In the mean time, I think that I should keep busy. Perhaps if I am busy I might not notice the waiting that I have to endure. You know an idle mind is the devil's workshop...so get busy! While I wait I will do the following:
  1. Pray
  2. Study
  3. Help others
  4. Praise God, be filled with thanksgiving
  5. Remember God's Word and believe that it is true for me and all who believe
God has a plan, it is a perfect plan for my life. He has a plan that is unique for everyone. And I just need to be patient and my reward will come. I am guaranteed that all things work together for good, for those that love God. And love God, I do! 

As you live life, I hope that you are not afraid to pray for patience. The trials and tribulations are going to come whether you have patience or not.   But won't it be much nicer to not be so grumpy as we wait on the really long, slow train? I am choosing to pray for patience. I am hopeful.


Blessings to you and yours!

4 comments:

  1. I pray that one day I will have the patience that you have. I am very proud of the person you have become.
    Criscoh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have often joked about not praying for patience, as that is what Job did and it didn't do much for him. Your message is an inspiration for us all. You are truly a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emily. Bet you can't guess who this?? We rode on a kind of "train" testing other people's patience I bet! LOL This is really beautiful. I needed this Tonight. Thank you for writing it. I'll check back for updates!
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Amanda!! OBA OBA!! I am glad that you found this and read it. I think we all have patience trying times. And I know that will never end. I just pray that I learn to handle them with grace and dignity.

    I have just started this blog thing so bear with me. I have found that journal writing helps me think things through some so I am giving this a try. I hope to be able to blog something everyday...I don't know how it will turn out.

    Love you all!

    ReplyDelete